Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

80's Themed Party

Last night my church's Mom's group had our end of the year party. To add a little bit of fun we decided to have an 1980's themed game night, with the neon clothes, the big hair and the awesome music. No, I will not be sharing the pictures of me dressed up, although I did look pretty RAD!

As the "on team" event planner, I was in charge of the event and decided to whip up a few centerpieces for the tables. Two very simple and inexpensive different styles were used.

 The first was to take favorite items from the era and combine them in a container in a fun way. At the local dollar store I picked up candy such as Razzles, candy necklaces, candy buttons, Pixy Stix and Bottlecaps and put them together with bouncy balls and Slinkies. I printed out a few pictures of popular 80's musicians (Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Guns n' Roses) and movies (Ghostbusters, Breakfast Club, Top Gun) and attached them to card stock and sticks. Once all together these were great conversation pieces and also were very nostalgic to the ladies in our group. Another great thing about using candy was that while we played games there were ready made munchies at the table! These pictures are from the day after but you get the general idea.


(It's hard to see but I splatter painted the back of the large picture)

For the second set I dug up some retro cassette tapes from my own stash and that of my sister. I did not want to hurt the condition of the cassettes (who knows, they might  be worth something someday!), so I used double stick tape to adhere them together. I chose the most popular names out of the bunch (Tiffany, New Kids on the Block, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard) and used their cases for the bottom and the top. Then I made a square using four clear tapes on the bottom level and four more on the top. It was important to pick the clear/transparent cassettes so that the LED light I put in the inside would show through. For the light I used an LED Stick N Click light I had because it gave off the neon glow that I wanted. 

(In The Dark)

(With the lights on)

It is always enjoyable to use things you already have on hand to make something unique and creative!



No comments:

Post a Comment