Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

UPDATE: BISSELL Tree House

After months of (semi) patiently waiting today I was able to tour the new BISSELL Tree House at John Ball Zoo. In one word...gorgeous! The architecture is brilliant, the building fits and blends perfectly into its surroundings on the hill above the zoo. It truly gives you an illusion of being in a tree house overlooking downtown Grand Rapids. Oh, did I forget to mention that part? From the front deck you look down on Grand Rapids skyline, it was beautiful during the day I am sure it is magnificent in the evening.

View from the front deck

Although it is called a Tree House you don't climb a rope or ladder to reach it. One of the highlights of this venue is the unique form of transportation to take your guests to the top of the hill. The funicular is three car tram like vehicle that carries thirty people at a time to the unloading station location beside the Tree House. Events may also hire their own shuttles or trolleys to take guests up the back way to the space but who wouldn't want to ride on something called a funicular? 

They are still working out some bugs but here is a quick shot of one of the cars and the unloading area.

One of the things that impressed me most about this space is it's use of natural materials such as wood, stone and concrete. It is one of the reasons that the building feels so natural in its environment.

 Main entryway to event space


 The main entry is in the top left corner of these pictures


A fireplace built into the wall

The Front Deck (facing the Funicular)

The Front Deck of the Tree House is available for your ceremony or cocktail hour. 


This event space has a capacity of 200 and all tables and chairs are included in the rental fee. The space also comes equipped with a professional catering prep and staging area. There are three wonderful caterers on their preferred lists for renters to choose from.

It is a beautiful, unique venue for any type of event and I am thrilled to have it in the Grand Rapids area!

For further information contact the Facility Rentals Department at facilityrental@johnballzoosociety.org or at (616) 260-9221.

4 comments:

  1. This place looks fabulous!! I totally want to shoot wedding reception here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not impressed at all, I think it is very plain. I can think of many places in Grand Rapids that would be prettier than this for a wedding event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that there are many places in Grand Rapids that are great for weddings. The thing that gives the Tree House an edge is the location, it is very unique and sits over top of the city. The architecture is beautiful, you should go check it out in person, I am sure my photos did not do it justice.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Michelle. I actually booked this venue for my ceremony & reception. I think the simplicity of the space is part of its appeal, along with the view. It is very beautiful, but allows you to make it your own. If you imagine the space with tablecloths and centerpieces (I'll also be renting different chairs), it has a very different feel.

      Delete