Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Myths About Wedding Planners and Why You Should Hire One


The term "Wedding Planner" has been viewed as a luxury and an unattainable thing to the "average" bride. When you hear it, you think of Jennifer Lopez in the movie The Wedding Planner and you instantly picture someone with an ear piece and staff running all over. You just did, didn't you? It is a big misconception that this is how every wedding planner is, do not get me wrong, some are, but realistically most are down to earth people that just want to help your big day run seamlessly. Please let me help in dispelling some common myths about wedding planners and why you should hire one.

1. If I hire a planner they are going to take over my wedding and make it all about them.

As a wedding planner, my intention is to fade into the background and bring all of your plans and hard work into reality. As the bride and groom, it is YOUR big day and all the attention and credit for the day should go to you. I listen to you and pull all of your ideas together to make your event reflect you and your personality, providing you with guidance as needed. On the big day, my job is to run all of the logistics from behind the scenes and fix any problems that arise with neither you nor your guests knowing anything was wrong in the first place.

2. I am a DIY bride and have plenty of family and friends to help me, I don't need to hire anyone.

From the moment you hire a planner you are adding an invaluable asset to your "team". As a planner, I am there to listen to your questions and concerns throughout the planning process and give you professional advice. Hiring a professional instead of relying only on family and friends can alleviate A LOT of stress, both during the planning and on the wedding day between you and your loved ones. On the day of the event, you are going to be busy getting your hair done, pictures taken and just enjoying the party. Someone needs to do the setup, decorating, directing of vendors, time line management and clean up, instead of asking a family member, that wants to enjoy themselves as well, hire someone who is there just for those reasons. Based on  my experience and knowledge, I can assist you in creating a flow for your day and tell you what works and what does not. Not only do I help with any planning needs you may have but I act as the event coordinator helping everything to run smoothly.

3. Wedding Planners are super expensive and are only for very high budget events.

While there are planners that only work with couples with certain budgets, I believe that as a bride, if you need and want the help of a professional you should be able to have it. I work within any size budget and offer a wide range of packages and services so that you can decide how much you are able to spend.

4. Wedding planners only recommend vendors from a preferred list.

I do not have a list of "preferred vendors" because not every event is a good fit with a specific vendor. Using my large network, I can recommend vendors that fit your style and budget while saving you all of that research time. I believe a team is only as good as it's weakest player so I know that an event will only be a good as the team it has running it. Also, if you are an out of town bride, I can attend meetings on your behalf or with you to make sure all of your questions, and the ones you don't think of, are answered.

5. My venue has its own onsite coordinator so I do not need to hire a planner or coordinator.

While some venues have amazing onsite coordinators, there is a big difference in what they do and what a planner will provide for you. Planners assist you throughout the planning process with all aspects of your event to being with you on rehearsal night through the entire wedding day. If you are interested in more on the differences, I did a separate post on this subject here.


Hiring a wedding planner is not for everyone but I think it is important for everyone to understand what we do and how we can help EVERY bride have her dream day.

This post is going to start a series on the benefits of having a planner. Stay tuned for hiring a planner from a bride's view as well as other another wedding vendor's view.

Have additional questions about how I can help you? Please let me know!





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful reasons to choose the wedding planner. here discuses all the points are must know by all the brides and grooms. Nice article and thanks for your sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post and I think every bride-to-be should read this. Planning a wedding is a huge deal and takes up a great amount of time. The moment that engagement ring slips on your finger - it's time to start planning! ( I sometimes wonder how a couple can get married after being engaged for only a year!) Having a wedding planner is a big help and you can still plan the wedding yourself - the event planner is there to help and reduce time. From sending out wedding invitations, picking a venue and buying your dream dress, a wedding entails a lot of work. Also, an event planner will help offer advice/tips that maybe you didn't consider and lay everything out so it's all organized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post; I’ll try to get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It’s the old what goes around comes around routine. Big thanks for the useful info......

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to me, wedding planners help a lot in planning all type of weddings right from arranging the wedding like the venue, menu, gifts, guests arrangement and many more things.
    Indian Trousseau Shopping

    ReplyDelete