Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hetler Photography

I love meeting new people, especially when you connect with them and get excited to possibly work together. Approximately six or seven months ago I was attending a networking event and at the end of the event we all went out for dinner. There were probably 20 of us and I noticed a couple that I had not yet been introduced to. So, I got up walked over to there booth and plunked myself down to get to know them (I am sure they thought I was crazy!). Kellie Hetler, from Hetler Photography, and her husband Joe were the sweetest people and I was so glad I had made the effort to get to know them for those few moments. This past April I decided that I wanted to do an inspiration shoot this Fall and Kellie popped into my mind right away as a great fit for my ideas. With having only met Kellie that one time I emailed her and said "Hey, I know we barely know each other but I am thinking of doing this would you be interested?" Her exact quote back to me "I would LOVE to!! Fall is my fave too!" So a friendship was formed and out of it came an amazing styled photo shoot which I will share with you all as soon as I can. But, in the mean time, I thought you could all get to know Kellie a little better!


1. What inspired you to get interested in photography? And how long have you been doing it?

Well....there is no one exact thing that inspired me to become a photographer, but there were definitely some things that influenced me along the way.  Growing up, my sister and I were always different.  She was artsy and didn't have a huge interest in school and I loved math and didn't have an artistic bone in my body.  (She is now a General Manager at a local corporation and I am a photographer....funny how things work themselves out.)  I took a few photography classes, but wasn't "in love" like everyone else claims to be.  To me....it was an easy A....a way to get out of gym class..lol.  I preferred page long math equations and perfecting the Spanish language....I know...boring, but that was me!  While in high school, my boyfriend's mother had a nice camera and took photos for people on the side once in a while.  I would have to say...I think it kinda started there!  I saved up a little money to just purchase the only camera I could afford....a Canon.  It was a film camera, so it took days, maybe even a week to see the results.  I remember always being so excited to run to Wal-Mart and pick up my super glossy duplicates waiting for me in that crisp paper bag....and then running straight to my fire safe box to keep my negatives away from harm (our house burned down in high school....so my paranoia was rightfully so).  After taking my high school boyfriend's senior photos, then my sister's a few years later...I realized....the photos that I took were better than the ones the hired photographer took.  Didn't think much of it other than......that was fun.  Fast forward a couple years and hundreds of rolls of film later....I met my husband, Joe.  We got married.  I disliked our wedding photos.  We enjoyed life....finished college....worked at jobs to make simple paychecks.  One day....he asks, "What do you really want to do for the rest of your life?".  I remember thinking, "Oh my goodness...I don't know....who really knows?  Why in the world would he ask me this?"...then I just blurted out... "I want to be a photographer!".  I think it was a deep down, secret dream career for me that I never entertained because it seemed so unattainable.  His response:  "So let's do it!".  From day one he helped me, along with support from my family, every step of the way.  Shooting the first wedding alongside me with that old film camera and a borrowed Nikon from his sibling was the first step.....the first very scary step...and I loved it!  I wasn't nervous at all, which is very unlike me!  I just had faith, had fun and decided that, yes...this is what I want to do!  Seventy weddings and 5 years later....I still just have, have fun and know that this is what I am supposed to be doing!


2. What is your favorite aspect of photography?

My favorite thing about photography is the final product.  I LOVE being able to deliver a beautiful, leather-bound album with all the bride and groom's favorite photos from their special day.  It seems to be the whole point of it all in my opinion.  Something to keep on your coffee table forever, and have your children look back on 20 years later like I do my parents' album.  It's so important for me to have timeless photos that show emotion and the loved ones that celebrated with them on that special day.  I feel like photographs keep the memories alive...bring you right back to that moment even though you can hardly remember it!


3. Best moment/Worst moment of taking peoples pictures? (Any funny stories?)

One of the best moments that I have had with my photography did not happen while taking the photos...it happened a month or so later.  I remember it so well....the bride's mother asking for a certain pose that she always had done with her daughter since she was little.  A month or so after the wedding, finding out that she had passed away was so hard for me.  Sitting here now writing about it makes me want to cry (again), but knowing that her daughter will have those images of them together forever is the best feeling.  Although it is a horribly sad story, it reinforces why I think that photographs are so important and are so priceless.

On a lighter note....funny stories always seem to have to do with wardrobe malfunctions or losing balance.  I remember one time trying to help a senior girl not be nervous during her session.  If you know me at all, you would know that I am so not intimidating and super silly.  We were walking around a park....me just trying to keep the conversation flowing and her still looking nervous.  Then....I fell right onto my backside and slipped into the creek!  For the rest of the session...she was all smiles!  I guess I am willing to sacrifice my pride and self image to make someone smile :)  By the way....I photographed her wedding this spring and she was gorgeous and not nervous at all during photos...do you think she remembers when I fell in the water?  And...if you are wondering about the wardrobe malfunction....I can't tell my husband's story....we will let him tell that one if he chooses :)


4. Tips you would give others wanting to become professional photographers?

If becoming a photographer is really something that you want to do, then do it right.  Purchase the best equipment that you can possibly afford.....you will be so much better in the long run for it.  Find your style as early on as you can....find what differentiates you from the crowd of "photographers" out there.  Be honest with yourself.....if you aren't ready to take on the responsibility of photographing a wedding, don't do it yet!  You are and will always be your most harsh and difficult critic....give yourself a little credit!  And mostly, just have fun!    


5. How do you spend the precious "free time" you have?

What is "free time"?  haha...just kidding.  My husband and I love to travel!  On my off season (winter-early spring), we try to take at least one week long vacation and a couple weekend vacations with our daughter.  We love to watch movies, dine out and spend time with our large family and close friends!  Pretty much anything that takes me away from my office and computer.....don't want my eyesight getting any worse :) 



Thanks for sharing Kellie! 

If you would like more information on Kellie and Hetler Photographer check her website out at:
or on Facebook at:


1 comment:

  1. I love hearing the story behind a successful photographer, thank you for sharing!! The pictures are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete